Since childhood, you’ve had a chipped tooth and have come to accept this as your reality. In all honesty, though, you’d like to have a perfectly straight and symmetrical smile. The problem is that you don’t know how to go about achieving this goal, which is why you’ve never really pursued it. Thankfully, there is a very simple way to address this. Your cosmetic dentist in Cherry Hill says cosmetic bonding is the answer for rebuilding your smile and self-confidence. You’re invited to continue reading to learn more about the process.
How Does Cosmetic Bonding Work?
Cosmetic bonding uses a composite resin to replace the missing material of your tooth. By applying the ivory-colored mixture of plastic and glass filler, it rebuilds the tooth to its normal shape and size. After placing the resin, your dentist will then use a special light to harden the area to leave you with a permanently improved look.
What are the Benefits of Cosmetic Bonding?
Here are some of the benefits of repairing your chipped, cracked or slightly fractured teeth with cosmetic bonding:
- Aesthetic Appeal – Because composite resin matches the shade of your teeth and the surrounding ivories, you won’t have to worry about the repair causing a glaring difference.
- Time – Another benefit is that you can expect to save time with this procedure because it is simple and is completed in one visit.
- Less Invasive – It’s also worth noting that bonding process requires very little of your natural tooth structure to be removed because the resin material is directly applied to your tooth.
- Cost – A final benefit is in the cost department. Cosmetic bonding is a rather inexpensive way to repair a chipped, cracked or slightly fractured tooth.
Ways to Preserve Your Tooth Post-Procedure
After you have your tooth repaired, there are several things to keep in mind that will ensure the longevity of the application, which includes:
- Careful Biting – One way to protect your newly repaired tooth is to be mindful of what you’re biting. Certain items like ice and very brittle snacks can reverse all of your efforts.
- Never Use Teeth as Tools – Also, resist the urge to use your teeth as tools, which includes using them to open packages. This can not only damage your new resin application, but it can also lead to a dental emergency.
- Seek Treatment for Bruxism – If you suffer from bruxism (teeth grinding), reach out to your local dentist for treatment because this habit will definitely compromise your new cosmetic bond.
So now you’re equipped with the information necessary to vastly improve the look of your smile. The next step is just to reach out to your dentist in Cherry Hill to schedule your initial appointment to learn more about the process.
About the Author
Delivering comprehensive cosmetic dentistry for over 35 years, Dr. Barry Polansky earned his Doctor of Dental Medicine degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. He also went on to obtain postgraduate training from the Pankey Institute for Continuing Dental Education and several other institutions. He practices at Barry Polansky DMD and can be reached for more information through his website.